DIY Coffee & Milk Soap Bars
One of my favorite gifts from Christmas this past year was given to me by Sam's Aunt, Sherrie. She got me beautiful, handmade soap, including one with primarily goat's milk and one with coffee grounds mixed into it. I haven't shared much about my skin issues in the past on the blog but, if you've seen a photo of my bare arms, you may have noticed the redness and bumps that I often experience. I have always been extremely self-conscious of this and, most of the time, I opt for outfits with sleeves or throw a jacket over to cover it up when we are shooting.
When Sherrie gifted me these pretty soaps, she explained that she had done some research and thought they might be helpful. I found that, not only do they reduce the redness and breakouts but, the coffee soap in particular smells absolutely amazing AND the exfoliation makes the rest of my body soft and smooth.
Even though it is currently sleeting here (major sigh), we will officially be entering Spring in less than 1 week! You know what that means? Flowy skirts, off-the-shoulder blouses, and loooots of skin. I don't know about you but, I am making sure that my skin is pretty and polished for my new Spring wardrobe.
Side note: I just realized that since we relaunched into Lifestyle by Anna Elizabeth, I haven't shared a single DIY project! Did you guys know that when I first launched my blog (almost 5 years ago!) I wanted it to be centered around DIY projects and event planning? So crazy how things change! Never did I think that I would be sharing so much fashion and beauty - and LOVING it.
Anyway, this DIY project is super easy (my first time ever making soap) and way better than spending $10/bar in a fancy boutique downtown. They also make for excellent, thoughtful gifts!
- Coffee Grounds
- Goats Milk Soap Base (2lbs of soap base will yield 8 large 4 oz. bars of soap)
- Coffee Essential Oil
- Soap Mold
- Microwave Safe Measuring Cup
- Start with 1 lb. (half of the block) of the soap base. Cut into cubes, place inside a microwave safe measuring cup/bowl. Melt in microwave in 20-30 second increments, stirring well each after microwave session to ensure that the soap is completely melted. Add in the other cubed half, repeat step in microwave until the full bowl is completely melted.
- When the soap base is completely liquid, add the coffee grounds and 15 drops of coffee essential oil. You can use as much or as little of the coffee grounds as you prefer - they are mainly for exfoliation purposes. Mix well. You may need to reheat the mixture (it cools very quickly and can be difficult to pour into molds that way).
- Once the whole bowl is melted and smooth, pour the mixture into the soap molds and allow to sit undisturbed until cool (about 30-60 minutes depending on temperature/humidity).
- Once cool, carefully remove from soap molds and enjoy!
Recipe inspired by Happiness is Homemade.