Apple Spice Kombucha Float with Salted Caramel Sauce
CALLING ALL FALL FANATICS: If you aren't "indulging" in this Apple Spice Kombucha float this weekend, then what are you really doing with your life? In all actuality, I'm convinced that this is the non-basic Fall cocktail you've been waiting for all season. PSL, who? This Apple Spice Kombucha float with homemade salted caramel sauce is the best thing that has been in my kitchen (aside from this cauliflower pizza) all Fall.
If you follow me on Instagram stories, you know I'm basically in a committed relationship with kombucha. I was introduced to it (a little late on the bandwagon) over a year ago and I can probably count on one hand the amount of days since then that I haven't drank at least one bottle per day. I've never been a soda drinker because of the sugar and chemicals in them, so when I found kombucha, the carbonated, fruity taste was a hit for me. It also makes my gut feel extra happy.
For those of you who aren't familiar with kombucha, it is best known for supporting healthy gut bacteria and digestion. It helps the body assimilate food more easily and provides quick and easy energy without caffeine. It is also high in Glucaric acid, which is beneficial to the liver and aids its natural detoxification.
I've tried just about every brand and flavor of kombucha on the shelves and my favorite by far is Apple Spice Wild Kombucha from Whole Foods (or Harris Teeter).
This original dessert recipe was born in my kitchen when Sam and I were craving something sweet one night after dinner. We had literally 5 things in our fridge/freezer at the time: garlic aioli, a LUSH face mask, hummus, vanilla ice cream, and a bottle of Apple Spice kombucha.
Earlier in the Summer, we had attended an event in the city that served kombucha floats and they were surprisingly delicious, so we decided "why not try to recreate it at home?"
That's when we decided to take our favorite healthy drink (kombucha), and make it a littttle less healthy. I mean it's better than salted caramel and ice cream without kombucha, right? I'd describe this float as the perfect balance between my 'beach bod' and 'treat-yo-self' alter egos. #Thedailystruggle
I wanted to bring this float recipe to you in time for the holidays so that you can impress guests with your new "trendy" dessert and enjoy the flavors of Fall before we get sucked into the darkness of Winter. Ok, that was a little dramatic, but you feel me. It's freaking cold outside.
Let's get this Fall float started!
- Apple Spice Wild Kombucha
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Homemade Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 cups granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoons of sea salt
- First start by making the salted caramel sauce: In a semi-deep non-stick pot, heat sugar over medium high heat, stirring often. The sugar will soon start to clump together and then break down into a liquid. Once the sugar is in liquid form, continue stirring until it boils and turns an amber color. Do not burn. Once the color darkens, carefully add the butter; continue stirring until all the butter has melted. Next, carefully and very slowly while stirring, add the heavy cream. Stir the mixture and then let boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat, stir in the salt, and set aside.
- Place 2-3 scoops of vanilla ice cream in a tall glass.
- Pour 1/2 bottle of Apple Spice kombucha over top of the ice cream.
- Sprinkle the top with cinnamon. Drizzle salted caramel sauce over top as desired.
- Add a slice of apple for garnish (optional). Enjoy (not optional)!
*You will have leftover salted caramel sauce. You can either spoon the remainder into your mouth and forget about wearing crop tops for the rest of the season, OR let cool down completely and store in the refrigerator for future use.